Taiwan High Speed Rail
The fast trainsystem in Taiwan are called Taiwan High Speed Rail (THSR). THSR is a railway line crossing Taiwan for from north to south. It runs approximately 350 km (217 mi) along the west coast, from the capital Taipei to the southern city of Kaohsiung. THSR operates high-speed bullet trains. These trains reach a speed of 300 km/h or 225 mph.
Despite the fact that these trains were built using the technology of the Japanese high-speed network Shinkansen the fare is not as high as in Japan. All stations are connected with the centers of cities served by the metro line, conventional rail or free shuttle buses.
A Taiwan High Speed Rail train waiting for passengers at the train station in Taipei.
The train comes with Standard Seats in a 2+3 (Two seats one one side and tree seats on the other) configuration and Business Seats with a 2+2 configuration.
Train Station for the High Speed Train in Taiwan
- Nangang: No. 313, Sec. 1, Nangang Rd., Nangang Dist., Taipei City
- Taipei: No. 3, Beiping W. Rd., Zhongzheng Dist., Taipei City
- Banqiao: No. 7, Sec. 2, Xianmin Blvd., Banqiao Dist., New Taipei City
- Taoyuan: No. 6, Sec. 1, Gaotie N. Rd., Zhongli Dist., Taoyuan City
- Hsinchu: No. 6, Gaotie 7th Rd., Zhubei City, Hsinchu County
- Miaoli: No. 268, Gaotie 3rd Rd., Houlong Township, Miaoli County
- Taichung: No. 8, Zhanqu 2nd Rd., Wuri Dist., Taichung City
- Changhua: No. 99, Zhanqu 2nd Rd., Tianzhong Township, Changhua County
- Yunlin: No. 301, Zhanqian E. Rd., Huwei Township, Yunlin County
- Chiayi: No. 168, Gaotie W. Rd., Taibao City, Chiayi County
- Tainan: No. 100, Guiren Blvd., Guiren Dist., Tainan City
- Zuoying: No. 105, Gaotie Rd., Zuoying Dist., Kaohsiung City
I have more information about the stations further down on this page!
How to Book a Ticket for the Taiwan High Speed Rail
The most tourists travel from: Taipei to Taichung. If you click the link you get direct to a search form to find the best times and fares for your trip.
Other popular destinations are Taipei to Kaohsiung and Taipei to Tainan.
A lot of traveler do their Taiwan Hight Speed Rail booking from Kaohsiung to Tainan and from Kaohsiung to Taichung City.
Benefits of Online Booking:
- Prices are cheaper than at the box office.
- The tourist is able to compare prices to choose between a one-way ticket and a rail pass.
- Trouble-free ticket receiving procedure – after the purchase, the customer receives their ticket as a PDF voucher (TOD-ticket). PDF voucher must be exchanged to the real ticket at the ticketing window on any train stations.
- Convenient advance booking period – Min: 24 hours, Max: 1 year before the departure.
- Loyal cancellation policy – tickets can be canceled 48 hours before the departure.
- Special ticket policy is applied for children: On laps < 6yrs – FOC and child price 50% less for <12yrs.
- Modern, fast and comfortable transportation.
- Trains are one of the best ways to travel around Taiwan.
Taiwan High Speed Rail Pass and Joint Pass
Unlimited rides on Taiwan High Speed Rail trains for three consecutive days.
Flexible 2-Day Pass
Unlimited rides on Taiwan High Speed Rail trains for any two days of a designated seven-day period.
5-Day Standard Joint Pass
Unlimited rides on Taiwan Railway Chu-Kuang Express or trains at a lower price than Chu-Kuang Express for five days and on Taiwan High Speed Rail trains for any two days within the designated five days.
5-Day Premium Joint Pass
Unlimited rides on Taiwan Railway Tze-Chiang Limited Express or trains at a lower price than Tze-Chiang Limited Express for 5 days and on Taiwan High Speed Rail trains for any two days within the designated five days.
- These Passes/Tickets are available only to foreign passengers who have entered the Republic of China (Taiwan) on a non-ROC passport and a valid short-term entry document, which may be Visa-exempt entry, Visitor Visa, Exit & Entry Permit Taiwan Republic Of China, APEC Business Travel Card, or other documents which entitled the holder to stay in Taiwan for less than 180 day.)
- Passports are required to exchange Pass/One-Way Ticket, select seats and board on train. If there is any discrepancy found between passenger’s passport and purchased voucher, the voucher will be refused to exchange. Please also carry your valid entry document (e.g. Visa-exempt entry, Visitor Visa, Exit & Entry Permit Taiwan Republic Of China, APEC Business Travel Card, etc., issued by an official authority) for inspection. Please present your entry document when the staffs request for.
- For Child Pass/One-Way Ticket, children over the age of 6 years and under 12 years old may purchase the Child Pass/One-Way Ticket; and children under 6 years old who do not occupy a seat are not required to purchase a Pass/Ticket, but those who would like to occupy a seat will have to purchase a child Pass/Ticket. The children passport must be provided to confirm their eligibility when exchanging or boarding. If the identity of the child found is ineligible, the Pass/Ticket will be refused to exchange and board.
- THSRC and TRA reserve the right to refuse unqualified passengers to exchange and use the Pass/Ticket.
- Passengers who purchase the Pass/ Ticket through a travel agency or the THSR Pass Website will receive a voucher that may only be used in exchange for the THSR Pass, Joint Pass, or One-Way Ticket but cannot be used to board directly.
- The Pass/Ticket must be exchanged within 90 days, including the date of payment, at ticket counters; the validity period/date of Pass / Ticket is applicable from the next day of the purchase.
- The Joint Pass can be exchanged at ticket counters of Taiwan Railway or Taiwan High Speed Rail. Collection at a TRA ticket counter is available only at Songshan Station, Taipei Station, Taoyuan Station, Taichung Station, Tainan Station, and Kaohsiung Station. The Joint Pass holders must collect boarding ticket(s) at the designated TRA station(s) to travel on TRA trains.
- Please present the voucher and your passport (original) to exchange a Pass/Ticket, and also carry your valid entry document (e.g. visa-exempt entry stamp, visa, entry& exit permit, APEC Business Travel Card, etc., issued by official authority) for inspection. If you are unable to present your passport(original) and entry document, or if the information on your passport does not match the information on the voucher, Taiwan High Speed Rail and Taiwan Railway reserve the right to refuse the exchange.
- When exchanging the Pass/Ticket, a validity period/date is required to be specified simultaneously. The period once specified cannot be changed.
Passengers traveling on a Pass/Joint Pass or One-Way Ticket must enter and exit a station through a manned gate and present your passport (original) for inspection.
- If a passenger is traveling with an invalid Pass or unable to present the passport (original) or the information on the passport does not match the information on the Pass/Ticket, the passenger will not be permitted to board the train, or will be requested to pay the full fare if already on a train.
Onboard Services & features
- THSR trains have 12 carriages including 1 business class (66 seats) and 11 standard class (923 seats).
- A & E seats are window seats.
- Breastfeeding room is located in Car 5. Please contact train crew prior to use.
- All seats are 180 degree adjustable to facilitate passengers traveling in group.
- Food trolley service is available on all cars.
- Each seat is equipped with a fold-down tray table that bears 10Kgs of objects.
- Garment hanger can hold up to 2Kgs of garments.
- Cold or hot drinking water is not available on trains. Passengers may use the automatic vending machines.
- Smoking is not permitted on the train.
- Emergency intercom is for emergency only and may not used as service bell. Do not use it unless there is an emergency.